Chemical Immobilisation Course
The course is presented by Wildlifevets.com in collaboration with Wildlife Pharmaceuticals, to both local and international veterinarians, veterinary students. It is accredited with the South African Veterinary Council. This is an in-depth course on the various aspects of the different chemical preparations used in the wildlife industry. Students are offered lectures and practical demonstrations on the immobilization of high risk anaesthetic species, such as the rhino and giraffe. Lecturers are all experienced in the fields they present, and practical hands on experience will be gained both in confined and free ranging animals.
* Practical demonstrations and active participation in field work
* Applied physiology
* Pharmacological principles from injection to recovery
* Current and new pharmacological preparations
* Equipment- darting with a wide range of projectors
* Basic principles of immobilisation
* Species specific information
* Problems under anaesthesia
* Accidental human injection
* Confined space darting
* Legal aspects of darting, keeping records and registers
R10 500.00 per South African candidate
$1600 per International candidate
CIC cost 2013
All course fees must be paid in full before the specific course commences .
Reservations are based on first come, first serve basis.
Any dietary requirements will require a $200.00 surcharge. This includes vegetarians.
This fee will be charged to your bar bill and payable at the Lodge before departure.
Vegans need not apply.
CIC Fees include
* Pick up and drop off at Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA)
* One week accommodation and meals at Terra Luna Lodge
* All equipment and drugs used during the course
* Transportation to and from captures
* Gate and entrance fees at Parks and Institutions
* All accommodation costs should it be necessary to sleep away from Terra Luna Lodge
* A comprehensive set of digital notes
* Course completion certificate
* Airfares: Participants will need to fly to Johannesburg International Airport, and then either take a connecting flight to Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA), or a shuttle bus to Nelspruit, Mpumalanga. Participants will be transported to Terra Luna Lodge either from KMIA or the bus stop in Nelspruit, on the specified arrival and departure days of courses. Should a participant arrive on an unscheduled day, he/she will be liable for an additional cash transfer fee of R250.00 p/person p/trip.
* Bar tab: Although juices and water are supplied, other soft drinks, bottled water and alcoholic beverages from the bar will be for your own account.
* Telephone calls will be charged for
* Internet access: Facilities are provided but will be charged for.
Terms and Conditions
No previous wildlife experience is necessary.
* Applicants must have a high level of mental and physical fitness;
* Medical and evacuation insurance;
* Must be prepared to stay in basic accommodation in the field if needs be;
* Understand that Terra Luna is remotely situated;
* Wildlifevets.com and Terra Luna Lodge reserves the right to refuse access to the lodge and practice based on inadequate payment or inappropriate behaviour.